Thursday, July 28, 2011

Chats, and podcasts, and webinars, oh my! - Aka PLN Update :-)

Finally my schedule worked where I tried to participate in my first #scichat this week.  I didn’t realize at first that I had to use TweetChat.  Once I did I found that the chat goes so fast, and is a bit hard to keep up with all the posts.  I tried to post quite a few times, but I never saw my posts show up, so don’t know if anyone else saw them then either??  Oh well, it was neat to see all the great ideas, questions, and answers.  I also learned something really cool called “The Marshmallow Challenge” too.  Cool!
I watched a ton of podcasts from the Chemical Demonstration Series on iTunes.  Two professors from Writhgt State University perform a bunch of demos for high and middle school students.  Although one of the profs is pretty dry, the demos are cool.  Most I have seen, but a few I have not.  For example I am going to make my own “Burning Book” for the first day of school.  Awesome!
I found lots of great webinars, but because of my schedule with my family, I could not find time for most live webinars.   I did participate in a Introduction to Prezi Webinar, but I ended up leaving the webinar early, as it was way to basic for even me.  I did; however, watch two chemistry webinars from the ACS archives.  The Kitchen Chemistry webinars were topics that I found interesting.  One was called The Chemistry of Cheese and Why We Love It and the other was Cheers!  The Chemistry of Wine.  This last one is not quite appropriate for the classroom J, but I learned so much and found it really fascinating.  It discussed molecules like Resveratol and other aspects of the chemistry of wine and also health benefits.  It really makes me miss having a glass of wine, since I’m pregnant right now.  J  I looked up other webinars and have actually signed up for one on Blood Spatter on August 11th through Ward’s Free Webinars.  It is great to know about all of these good resources out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment